… Among Key Amendments, National Advisory Council Replaces Board of Trustees, Creates Zonal Congress
In accordance with Article 30 (iii) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Constititution, the Governor Mai Mala Buni-chaired Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) has served a notice of proposed amendments to the party’s Constitution on members of the National Convention.
|Illustrative photo of APC|
Article 30 (iii) stipulates that the notice is served at least fourteen (14) days before the date of the National Convention at which the proposed amendments is to be considered.
APC Constitution 2014 has been in effect for almost eight years and together with judgments from Courts of competent jurisdiction, administrative experiences have revealed flaws in the Constitution.
According to the party in a statement issued on Friday morning by the it’s National Secretary, Sen. John James Akpanudodehe, it became imperative to conduct a review of the party’s constitution.
Therefore, the statement said the Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee established a Constitution Review Committee under the chairmanship of Prof. Tahir Mamman OON, SAN “to thoroughly review the constitution in accordance with Article 30 which provides for constitutional amendments.”
The committee, the statement further added, adopted an all-inclusive approach which led to the draft proposals.
It noted that the amendment proposals address the following:
– Clarify ambiguities in the Constitution
– Fill gaps that became apparent
– Recognize and expand platforms for participation of critical groups such as women, youth, and persons with disabilities
– Replace the Board of Trustees (BoT) under a new title called National Advisory Council with streamlined memberships and clear powers and functions
– Create zonal congresses
– Clarify powers of National Executive Committee (NEC) and National Working Committee (NWC)
– Clearer accountability by organs of the party
– New organs for efficient administration of the party
– Fair distribution of income between national and sub-national organs
– Clarify disciplinary procedures and powers etc.