By Richard Anyebe
The Nigerian Army on Tuesday said 41 Boko Haram terrorists surrendered to troops of 144 Battalion in Dissa Village axis of Borno State on Monday 21 February 2022.
|The surrendered terrorists|
This was disclosed in a short statement posted on its official facebook page on Tuesday.
|Other Of the terrorists|
The statement, which had no signature of either the Spokesman of the Nigerian Army or the Chief of Army Staff, said the terrorists comprised 11 males, 22 females and 8 children
According to the statement, troops of 28 Task Force in conjuction with CJTF conducted some minor road maintenance including patching of potholes along Damboa-Wajiroko road in Borno State.
It further said the exercise was carried out in a bid to enhance civil military relations as well as deny Boko Haram terrorists (BHT/ISWAP) opportunities to plant Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).
This is not the first time Boko Haram terrorists will surrendering to the Nigerian military.
In October 2021, the Defence Headquarters had said a total number of 13,243 terrorists terrorists and members of their families had so far surrendered to troops in the North-east.
A month after, November 21, 2021, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Babagana Mongono, said more than 15,000 Boko Haram terrorists had so far surrendered to troops from their enclaves, Sambisa Forest, as well as other hideouts.
It is however, still not clear what the government will do with or to these terrorists.
There are fears in some quarters that the government would rehabilitate and integrate them with members of the society, most of whom have lost many loved ones due to actions of these terrorists mostly in the North East.
Mongonu had also disclosed that the terrorists would be de-radicalised and integrated into the society.