The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) says it has initiated a comprehensive plan of action to rescue the six Abuja sisters abducted in the Bwari Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory.
It said action plans to also address the kidnapping of the victims and prevent any further occurrence, saying all hands are already on deck to see to that.
This was disclosed in a statement issued on Saturday night by the Spokesman of the force, ACP Olumuyiwa Adejobi.
Recall that the six Abuja sisters were said to have been kidnapped alongside their father on January 9th, 2024.
Their father was, however, released by the kidnappers and asked to go bring the sum of N60 million as ransom for his girls.
According to the statement by ACP Adejobi, specific details of the plan are being kept confidential to avoid compromising ongoing operations given the sensitivity of the situation.
ACP Adejobi also disclosed that the force is actively engaging and contacting individuals crucial to the rescue operations and investigation.
“The objective is not only to bring perpetrators to justice but also to intensify efforts in rescue operations for victims still in captivity,” he said.
“Furthermore, recognizing the psychological impact on affected families, the Police are encouraging open communication with their operatives to provide support, information, and assistance to mitigate the psychological warfare imposed by kidnappers on the relatives and loved ones of their victims.”
Meanwhile, the latest reports suggest that one of the six Abuja sisters has been killed by the hoodlums due to the failure to raise the ransom at the stipulated period.
The kidnappers were said to have given the father of the girls
before Friday, January 12 to raise the ransom.
Not wanting to dare the kidnappers, Nigerians were called upon to donate whatever they could lay their hands on to a specific bank.
However, as of Friday, it was gathered that not enough money was realised.
As a result, the hoodlums reportedly killed the oldest of the six girls, Najeebah, and dumped her body somewhere for her parents to bury.
The immediate past Minister for Communication and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, confirmed the killing of Najeebah on Saturday night.
Taking to his official X handle on Saturday night, Pantami said he had spoken with the father of Najeebah over the remaining kidnapped girls.
“Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Raajiun! I just read about the killing of our daughter Najeeba (400 level, ABU). I also spoke with her father about the remaining 5 of our kidnapped daughters. May Allah forgive her, rescue others & bring absolute peace to Nigeria,” he said.
Last year, in January 2023, a man was killed in the Ushafa area of the same Bwari Area Council and two of his family members were abducted after suspected bandits invaded the area.
The man was shot dead by the assailants after he reportedly struggled with them and cried for help for the rescue of his family members
The incident threw the residents of the area into a state of fear resulting in the deserting of the community by some landlords who sold their houses and moved to safer areas in the capital city.